Skip to main content

I love the Fitbit Force.

I've been wanting to check out this Smartwatch trend that everyone (read: some tech bloggers, and Samsung... oh, and those tens of thousands of people on Kickstarter) has been talking about.  I was in Best Buy the other day and I picked up a Fitbit Force ($129.99) and a Pebble ($149.99) with the intent of keeping whichever one seemed to be more useful / practical.

Pebble Smartwatch
Fitbit Force

I decided to open and try the Force first.  Full disclosure: I've had a Fitbit Flex for a few months and I really love the Fitbit system.  They do a great job of tracking and visualizing data without going overboard or making the system too complicated.  Overall I think the Fitbit apps and devices are simple and easy to use - the Flex just sits in a wristband (or your pocket) and tracks your movement throughout the day, and tracks your sleep at night.  It's mostly passive.  I've found the information they provide is a great way to sense when I've been lazy (usually) or active (if I'm running from lions or something).  It's also good for letting me know when I've been sleeping badly and should try to get a bit more sleep (which is almost always).  I don't get into the calorie counting or water monitoring - but for tracking sleep and activity, I think it's really a great little device.  

The Force is pretty simple as well.  The Flex showed you your progress with a few taps on the wristband.  It was pretty simple, with just a 5 summary dots to show you 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% of your goal for the day.  The Force goes a little bit further and provides more detail.  It has a dedicated button that you can use to cycle through the different metrics (Fitbit calls them "stats"): Clock, Steps, Distance, Calories, Floors, and Very Active Minutes (one I really need to work on).  I concentrate on Clock, Steps, Floors, and Very Active Minutes so the display is pretty simple.


The silent alarm is also a really great feature; you can configure it for a regular Monday - Friday wake up and it will vibrate at a set time.  In my opinion it's a nicer way to wake up than a noisy alarm clock.

I don't know that the Force or the Flex are terribly accurate in the number of steps counted, but that's not the point - it's really better for showing you trends.  I.e., if they're not accurate, they're likely to be consistent in their inaccuracy, so a day with 6000 steps is going to be less productive than a day with 9000.

It's easy to put on and not obtrusive - it's small enough that I don't notice it under most shirts, though I do have comfort issues if my sleeves are tight.  One small complaint I have is that the clasp is metal so it rubs uncomfortably on my laptop when I'm using the computer.  I feel like a plastic clip would be better here, but probably also less durable.  It's not a big deal, just an annoyance when typing.  Lots of people seem to have issues with the clasp, but I think mechanically it's fine. 

I wasn't sure the device would be worth the $30 price difference from the Flex, but after using it for a few days, I think that it is.  The screen looks a lot better in person that it does on a screenshot on the Internet.  Sure, it's a simple dot matrix display, but it's well animated and easy to read. 

I like the Fitbit Force as a replacement for the Flex, but when comparing it to the Pebble, it needs a few things to be a great Smartwatch:
  • I've read that they're working on call notifications on the Force (but only for the iPhone).  This makes sense and would be pretty useful - I can see if I want to pick up the call without pulling my phone out of my pocket.  It's a great feature to have.  Hopefully it comes to Android soon.
  • As it stands, you can select which "stats" are included on the wristband in the iPhone / Android app.  If the wristband can do call notifications, I can't really see a reason it shouldn't be able to also include stats such as:
    • Number of unread text messages
    • Number of unread email messages / GMail messages
    • Total number of unread email messages / GMail messages
    • Number of unseen Facebook notifications
    • Number of Twitter direct messages
  • I'm not sure if it's possible or even sensible to do new email / text message notifications, but maybe the ability to set it up so that it only sent notifications based on a filter or preferred sender list would be practical.
I'm sure it doesn't do as much as the Galaxy Gear or even the Pebble... but honestly, it might be enough.  The screen is good, though it's not high-resolution.  I like the simplicity.  Using the button to cycle through the information I need is a simple, easy way to interact, and the number of "stats" wouldn't be too overwhelming, especially if you could pick them on the iPhone / Android app.  

Sure, you wouldn't be able to answer calls or view email detail, but is a wristwatch really the best way to do those things anyway?

Maybe.
I'm hoping to try out the Pebble over the next few days and report back.

===============================================================

Update (2013-12-31): I've proposed some of this on the Fitbit "New Idea" forums: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Features/Fitbit-Force-Smartwatch-features/idi-p/37723 - vote for it, maybe they'll make it happen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheetz Sandwich Standoff: El Gringo vs Twisted Swiss

My wife left me alone for dinner tonight so I decided to check out the latest GetGo offerings... but to my great chagrin, they have no promotional subs. My travels led me to the local Sheetz, where I'd be able to keep eating the best gas station sandwiches around. To keep tradition alive, I picked the two most outrageous "Burgerz" on the menu: El Gringo and Twisted Swiss. The ingredient list is promising: Twisted Swiss is the burger with topped with swiss cheese, cole slaw, pickles, bacon, and whatever "Boom Boom Sauce" is on a pretzel bun.  El Gringo is the burger topped with pepper jack cheese, chili, Doritos, and BBQ sauce on a regular old bun. I unwrapped them both and stood back to admire the majesty before me. They're not pretty, but they do look a lot better out of the wrapper than many fast food burgers I've eaten. Twisted Swiss I expected this sandwich to be an awful mess.  It just seemed like a bunch

The Gobbler from Arby's

Stop.  Stop what you're doing and go to Arby's. Right. Now.  Have them make you a Gobbler .  This is not something you'll regret. Go. Eat this thing. Look at that bacon. Go. Arby's has a new sandwich.  It's called "The Gobbler" and as far as I can tell it's two things: a vehicle for their new deep fried turkey, and an attempt at a Thanksgiving themed sandwich.  It's also a third thing: magically delicious. move over Lucky, there's a new holiday mascot on the block Unwrapping: this actually looks like a sandwich.  It looks appetizing.  It looks like something I want to eat.  It doesn't look like the promo photo above, but it doesn't look like someone was flailing around and accidentally smashed up a sandwich, either. sexy Instagram caption goes here First bite: Wow.  I mean, "WOW."  Holy h*ck this is good.  The turkey has a really bold, meaty flavor.  It tastes a lot like turkey sliced fresh from your

A Story of Student Loan Debt

I was paying bills today and it struck me how much easier things are since my wife and I paid off all of our student loans 2 years ago.  I’m simultaneously happy with a system that allows a broke kid like me to go to a decent college, and shocked by the crushing burden of debt that it can create.  The story of my own college debt is convoluted, uninformed, and fraught with my own mistakes and missteps. I grew up in Ohio always thinking I’d be going to OSU. I ended up doing in better on my SAT than anybody expected (myself included), and the University of Dayton offered me a big scholarship. Nevermind that OSU would still have been significantly cheaper. I decided to chase the dollars. It felt great to be offered so much money, though I didn't quite grasp the idea that it was more of a discount than a cash offer. It went fine; I sometimes felt unprepared, but I did OK overall and finished the year with a decent GPA. I had a girlfriend when I started college. The long distance was t