Skip to main content

Get Go Sandwich Standoff: "West Coast Chicken Sub" vs "Parma Mia"

Recently I decided that my stomach (and heart) had enough of a break since my last gastrointestinal undertaking at GetGo, so I headed over to the local purveyor of diesel fuel, fine foods, and gasoline to to try their New Yorker sub. Unfortunately it was a limited time offer, and time was up... but they did have this new great looking sandwich, the West Coast Chicken Sub.



According to the GetGo Cafe website:

"Our exclusive West Coast Chicken Sub is stacked with tender, juicy chicken, crisp bacon, melty Swiss, fresh spinach, tomato and guacamole, all on a multigrain sub roll baked fresh in-store!"

I ordered a 3.5" straightaway, and I also picked up a Parma Mia (GetGo's over-the-top take on a Chicken Parmesan sub).

First impressions: what I ended up with looked quite a bit different from the picture in the store. Not quite "stacked with" anything, really. I got a slice of tomato, 4 spinach leaves, about 3 tiny strips of grilled chicken, and one piece of bacon. I could taste a dash of guacamole. There might be cheese? I can't be sure.



Comparing the promotional picture to the one in front of me reminds me of something...

This sandwich is likely to have lifelong self esteem issues due to failing to meet its high visual expectations.


The flavor? Actually not bad, but the filling-to-bread ratio is messed up... there's not enough here. The proportions are all off. The effect is like they made a tiny sub, then put the sub inside another bigger sub.

Is it subception?


Also, it's too toasted. What's with this sandwich toasting? It makes eating the bread like crunching sharp gravel. There might be easier ways to carve up the roof of your mouth but this definitely does the trick. Subway does the same thing, but at least they ask before submitting you to mouth torture.

Every $5 toasted footlong comes with a 1 day supply of oral agony!


Regardless, I did finish it. That's a plus. There weren't many flavors, but the ones that are there are pretty good. You could try ordering the 14" version and just throwing out half of the bread - that might do it.


Next up: the Parma Mia. GetGo has a great picture of it on their website.



This is what mine looked like:

Much like adulthood, the reality falls far short of expectations.


I couldn't find information on their website, but I believe the ingredients are fried chicken strips, tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella sticks.  

I started in. First bite, bread. Second bite, bread. The third bite was bread with a little breading. Fourth bite: bread, breading, and a hint of some cheap canned sauce like Prego. Wait... the fifth bite includes chicken (shocking!). Six bites in and I get to the whole experience.

How do they hide the fillings so deeply in the sandwich? I think it's magnets.


It's... edible. Mostly, everything just tastes like breading, but not crispy - it's soggy breading. I'm assuming that the chicken and mozzarella sticks are microwaved. It reminds me of sad vending machine lunches under fluorescent lights in some corporate breakroom. The overwhelming number of fried things makes it all congeal together. The mozzarella sticks are the most disappointing. They don't taste like anything other than salty cheese. Honestly, it could've been just regular old mozzarella cheese instead of fried cheese sticks and it would've tasted about the same, maybe even better.

It's not the worst thing I've eaten, but I've had much better chicken parmesan subs, and it actually reminds me a lot of The General - a few things that are OK on their own but the combination is somehow less than the sum of its parts. I gave the rest of it away, I didn't want to finish it.

The West Coast Chicken Sub gets the win here, even though it's almost like they're fighting in different divisions. The puny bit of healthy stuff on the West Coast Chicken Sub somehow beats out the giant, sturdy mass of microwaved fried frozen bar food on the Parma Mia. Reminds of a Bible story or a boxing game or something.

"I think that everything I do tends to root for the underdog." -Judd Apatow, talking about gas station sandwiches (probably)



watch my videos on youtube follow me on twitter view my pictures on instagram view my profile on linkedin view my google+ profile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheetz Sandwich Standoff: El Gringo vs Twisted Swiss

My wife left me alone for dinner tonight so I decided to check out the latest GetGo offerings... but to my great chagrin, they have no promotional subs. My travels led me to the local Sheetz, where I'd be able to keep eating the best gas station sandwiches around. To keep tradition alive, I picked the two most outrageous "Burgerz" on the menu: El Gringo and Twisted Swiss. The ingredient list is promising: Twisted Swiss is the burger with topped with swiss cheese, cole slaw, pickles, bacon, and whatever "Boom Boom Sauce" is on a pretzel bun.  El Gringo is the burger topped with pepper jack cheese, chili, Doritos, and BBQ sauce on a regular old bun. I unwrapped them both and stood back to admire the majesty before me. They're not pretty, but they do look a lot better out of the wrapper than many fast food burgers I've eaten. Twisted Swiss I expected this sandwich to be an awful mess.  It just seemed like a bunch

The Gobbler from Arby's

Stop.  Stop what you're doing and go to Arby's. Right. Now.  Have them make you a Gobbler .  This is not something you'll regret. Go. Eat this thing. Look at that bacon. Go. Arby's has a new sandwich.  It's called "The Gobbler" and as far as I can tell it's two things: a vehicle for their new deep fried turkey, and an attempt at a Thanksgiving themed sandwich.  It's also a third thing: magically delicious. move over Lucky, there's a new holiday mascot on the block Unwrapping: this actually looks like a sandwich.  It looks appetizing.  It looks like something I want to eat.  It doesn't look like the promo photo above, but it doesn't look like someone was flailing around and accidentally smashed up a sandwich, either. sexy Instagram caption goes here First bite: Wow.  I mean, "WOW."  Holy h*ck this is good.  The turkey has a really bold, meaty flavor.  It tastes a lot like turkey sliced fresh from your

Get Go Sandwich Standoff: "The General" vs "The Rogie Hoagie"

Get Go has been KILLING it lately with crazy sandwiches that are great for advertising on the radio but I've been wondering if they're actually great for eating. The new one I've been hearing about is "The General" which is like Chinese take-out on a sesame sub roll.  I hear ads for it every morning on my commute, and I see a giant billboard for it too.  It's basically chicken tenders with General Tso's sauce and egg rolls on a sesame bun.  I'm guessing they were inspired by Primanti's and decided to try to apply it to a different cuisine (I'm looking forward to The Russian Borscht sub which I'm sure is planned for later this summer). I ventured out to my local GetGo to try one of these out, only to be greeted by "The Rogie Hoagie" on the screen in addition to "The General."  What a great surprise (and additional gastronomic challenge)!  I decided to try them both and report back.  "The General" only comes