Skip to main content

The Hiring Manager

In the most common case, when a hiring manager looks at your resume, it’s the only time that he’ll (or she, there are a few women in this business, at least three or four) even see your name, or anything else about you, for that matter.  That means that you’ve only got one shot at catching his (or her) attention.

The best thing to do when you’re writing your resume for a hiring manager is try to think like somebody who is reviewing resumes – somebody who is trying to identify a good candidate to administer a phone screen or to bring in for an interview.  I’ll give you some points to help you put yourself in this person’s shoes.
  1. Either you’re terribly busy because your boss has unrealistic expectations, or you’d just like to get back to watching YouTube and you don’t want to be bothered by reviewing resumes.
  2. You’re hoping to hire somebody to help alleviate the load caused by previously mentioned unrealistic expectations (or who you can order around and will do all of the work while you watch YouTube).
  3. You’d like to get through this as quickly as possible so that you don’t get buried under mountains of work.
  4. You’ve got dozens of resumes (maybe more), and almost all of them seem to represent candidates of about the same level of experience and skills.
What most of this adds up to is that the person reviewing resumes probably doesn’t have the time or the interest to read each one in detail.  The resumes probably either came from a recruiter, a database that scans resumes for buzzwords, or were dumped by somebody else.  Usually, the hiring manager reviewing these resumes is going to assume that they’re mostly good and mostly fitting and mostly reasonable, even though there may be some outliers (like getting a barista’s resume when you’re looking for a Java programmer).

What you also should consider, while we’re thinking like the hiring manager, is that more than likely, this guy was a geek at one point, too (maybe even still is).  He probably likes toys like the rest of us geeks (and since he has “manager” in his title, he’s probably got money to buy them, too).  It’s also equally probable that he speaks geek.  This means that you can more than likely safely assume that any geeked-out terms will be understood.

So, now that you know this person is terribly busy, but also can speak the local dialect of geek, you can tailor your resume a bit better.  You don’t have to worry about whether or not the hiring manager will understand what you mean when you write, “Wrote specification and designed web application running on Apache Tomcat to accept data requests, access a PostgreSQL database, and deliver data as XML,” because even if he hasn’t worked on that particular technology, chances are he’s at least heard of it.

To impress the hiring manager, you’re going to need to do a few things:
  1. Get the point across very briefly.  When I am reviewing resumes, I give the same amount of time to a 5-page resume as I do to a 1-page resume.  If you want a hiring manger to really read it, make sure you are brief.
  2. Mention the magnitude of your contributions.  “Developed in Visual Basic” doesn’t really tell a hiring manager what you did.  “Saved project by rapidly prototyping proof-of-concept user interface for configuring 3D object output” is much more descriptive and makes it sound like you’re worth hiring.
  3. While it’s good to mention the magnitude, don’t be outrageous.  While it’s one thing to be honest about your accomplishments, just don’t go overboard.
  4. Use proper grammar and spelling.  Not all hiring managers appreciate this, mind you; however, I’ve NEVER heard a hiring manager say, “I think this resume needs more spelling mistakes.”  Don’t rely on the grammar and spelling tools in your word processor – have somebody else review it so that you can be more confident there are no mistakes, or read it out loud.
  5. Don’t go crazy with your formatting.  Formatting in your resume should only work to emphasize your content.  If you get too crazy with formatting, you risk being distracting or annoying – and with the amount of time a hiring manager, you can’t afford to distract from your content.
There is a chance that the hiring manager is the person looking for resumes.  In this case, beyond being merely descriptive and informative, you’ll have to be appealing in order to grab his attention as well.

If a hiring manager chooses your resume, it will likely be reviewed in more detail.  It’s good to make sure that while it’s brief, there’s enough there to hold his interest and adequately describe your background.

Sometimes the hiring manager is the only one to make the call on a phone screen or interview, but one other thing that the hiring manager might do is send the resume to his technical staff for further review and feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheetz Sandwich Standoff: El Gringo vs Twisted Swiss

My wife left me alone for dinner tonight so I decided to check out the latest GetGo offerings... but to my great chagrin, they have no promotional subs. My travels led me to the local Sheetz, where I'd be able to keep eating the best gas station sandwiches around. To keep tradition alive, I picked the two most outrageous "Burgerz" on the menu: El Gringo and Twisted Swiss. The ingredient list is promising: Twisted Swiss is the burger with topped with swiss cheese, cole slaw, pickles, bacon, and whatever "Boom Boom Sauce" is on a pretzel bun.  El Gringo is the burger topped with pepper jack cheese, chili, Doritos, and BBQ sauce on a regular old bun. I unwrapped them both and stood back to admire the majesty before me. They're not pretty, but they do look a lot better out of the wrapper than many fast food burgers I've eaten. Twisted Swiss I expected this sandwich to be an awful mess.  It just seemed like a bunch

The Gobbler from Arby's

Stop.  Stop what you're doing and go to Arby's. Right. Now.  Have them make you a Gobbler .  This is not something you'll regret. Go. Eat this thing. Look at that bacon. Go. Arby's has a new sandwich.  It's called "The Gobbler" and as far as I can tell it's two things: a vehicle for their new deep fried turkey, and an attempt at a Thanksgiving themed sandwich.  It's also a third thing: magically delicious. move over Lucky, there's a new holiday mascot on the block Unwrapping: this actually looks like a sandwich.  It looks appetizing.  It looks like something I want to eat.  It doesn't look like the promo photo above, but it doesn't look like someone was flailing around and accidentally smashed up a sandwich, either. sexy Instagram caption goes here First bite: Wow.  I mean, "WOW."  Holy h*ck this is good.  The turkey has a really bold, meaty flavor.  It tastes a lot like turkey sliced fresh from your

A Story of Student Loan Debt

I was paying bills today and it struck me how much easier things are since my wife and I paid off all of our student loans 2 years ago.  I’m simultaneously happy with a system that allows a broke kid like me to go to a decent college, and shocked by the crushing burden of debt that it can create.  The story of my own college debt is convoluted, uninformed, and fraught with my own mistakes and missteps. I grew up in Ohio always thinking I’d be going to OSU. I ended up doing in better on my SAT than anybody expected (myself included), and the University of Dayton offered me a big scholarship. Nevermind that OSU would still have been significantly cheaper. I decided to chase the dollars. It felt great to be offered so much money, though I didn't quite grasp the idea that it was more of a discount than a cash offer. It went fine; I sometimes felt unprepared, but I did OK overall and finished the year with a decent GPA. I had a girlfriend when I started college. The long distance was t