Skip to main content

why the iPad is game changing

The iPad was announced this week and people seem to be underwhelmed.  Some superfans, loyal Apple customers, and of course Apple evangelists are excited, like this guy:



A small group of fans are saying that this is going to be the biggest thing to geek out since Apple announced the Newton, which was obviously a huge hit.


Apple's explanation of this device is very grand.  "The best way to experience the web, email, photos, and video.  Hands down."  Not only does it surf the web, view your photos, AND connect to YouTube, but it practically connects directly to your brain stem and detects everything that was ever fun in your life and presents it on a nice 9.7" screen.  Videos of dogs surfing galore!



I love my iPhone.  It's probably the most practical and useful pice of consumer technology I've ever owned - I probably use it more often than my computer, TV, or any other overly expensive gadget I have lying around.  Unfortunately, I have never once said, "Man, I love my iPhone, but I really wish I had a device that was almost exactly the same thing but DIDN'T fit in my pocket!"




Despite all of the pomp and grandeur of its product launch, I don't see myself buying this.  However, after reflecting on it for a few days, I can say that this product is truly groundbreaking - but not because of its weight or touch-sensitive display.

What changes the game with the iPad is that it promises to be a headache-free computer.  Think of all of the challenges you've had installing (and uninstalling) applications on Windows.  Incompatible libraries, installation directories that can't be found, conflicts, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.  The damned things are impossible.  Windows isn't the only guilty party; Mac OS X has its share of problems here.  "Just drag the application to the trash," they tell you.  Unfortunately, badly behaved applications change settings, install extra files, modify directories - ultimately leaving you stuck with pop-up messages on every reboot or weird errors long after you've deleted an application.

One of the truly wonderful things about the iPhone and its applications is that it's simple.  You go to the App Store, you find what you want, and it magically just works seconds later.  There's no headache.  There's no cryptic "Next Next Next Next Next" installation wizard.  If I didn't understand what was happening I'd say it's practically magic.




With the iPad, applications can have the same functionality - just go into the App Store, download, and go.  Think of all the times your mom has called you because, as she says, "The Internet is broken," or your grandmother can't play her Mahjongg games, or your cousin has accidentally deleted his entire C drive... these problems all go away.  Now you have a device that's completely managed.  You want to find your books?  You open the iBooks application.  You want to look at your snapshots?  You open the iPhoto application.  No more worrying about install directories, no more searching for files.  It completely abstracts the concept of the "computer" away.

For the true geeks amongst us, this can be a problem, as we like geekitarian things Unix prompts and file permissions and multiple logical drives, but for your grandmother, your kids, and maybe even yourself, the headache-free computer seems to hold a lot of promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sheetz Sandwich Standoff: El Gringo vs Twisted Swiss

My wife left me alone for dinner tonight so I decided to check out the latest GetGo offerings... but to my great chagrin, they have no promotional subs. My travels led me to the local Sheetz, where I'd be able to keep eating the best gas station sandwiches around. To keep tradition alive, I picked the two most outrageous "Burgerz" on the menu: El Gringo and Twisted Swiss. The ingredient list is promising: Twisted Swiss is the burger with topped with swiss cheese, cole slaw, pickles, bacon, and whatever "Boom Boom Sauce" is on a pretzel bun.  El Gringo is the burger topped with pepper jack cheese, chili, Doritos, and BBQ sauce on a regular old bun. I unwrapped them both and stood back to admire the majesty before me. They're not pretty, but they do look a lot better out of the wrapper than many fast food burgers I've eaten. Twisted Swiss I expected this sandwich to be an awful mess.  It just seemed like a bunch

The Gobbler from Arby's

Stop.  Stop what you're doing and go to Arby's. Right. Now.  Have them make you a Gobbler .  This is not something you'll regret. Go. Eat this thing. Look at that bacon. Go. Arby's has a new sandwich.  It's called "The Gobbler" and as far as I can tell it's two things: a vehicle for their new deep fried turkey, and an attempt at a Thanksgiving themed sandwich.  It's also a third thing: magically delicious. move over Lucky, there's a new holiday mascot on the block Unwrapping: this actually looks like a sandwich.  It looks appetizing.  It looks like something I want to eat.  It doesn't look like the promo photo above, but it doesn't look like someone was flailing around and accidentally smashed up a sandwich, either. sexy Instagram caption goes here First bite: Wow.  I mean, "WOW."  Holy h*ck this is good.  The turkey has a really bold, meaty flavor.  It tastes a lot like turkey sliced fresh from your

Get Go Sandwich Standoff: "The General" vs "The Rogie Hoagie"

Get Go has been KILLING it lately with crazy sandwiches that are great for advertising on the radio but I've been wondering if they're actually great for eating. The new one I've been hearing about is "The General" which is like Chinese take-out on a sesame sub roll.  I hear ads for it every morning on my commute, and I see a giant billboard for it too.  It's basically chicken tenders with General Tso's sauce and egg rolls on a sesame bun.  I'm guessing they were inspired by Primanti's and decided to try to apply it to a different cuisine (I'm looking forward to The Russian Borscht sub which I'm sure is planned for later this summer). I ventured out to my local GetGo to try one of these out, only to be greeted by "The Rogie Hoagie" on the screen in addition to "The General."  What a great surprise (and additional gastronomic challenge)!  I decided to try them both and report back.  "The General" only comes